Monday, December 26, 2011

Vegetarian January: Prep

I have been planning for awhile now to give up meat in the month of January. And after recently realizing I have a slight intolerance for milk, I have decided to also give up dairy products for February.

Anyway, I'm giving up anything that was or came from something with parents. I'm going Vegetarian in January and, hopefully, Vegan in February. But for now, we're going to focus on Vegetarian January.


This all came about from doing quite a bit of research into animal products. Finding that it's not as good for you as you would think.

I know this will be tough. I know I'll probably cry at some point. But I will at least try to do this.

While attempting to get a little more used to eating plant based foods, I made these delicious Roasted Spiced Chickpeas. Usually I don't like chickpeas, but these were an awesome filling snack. And super easy to make!


One farmer says to me, "You cannot live on vegetable food solely, for it furnishes nothing to make the bones with;" and so he religiously devotes a part of his day to supplying himself with the raw material of bones; walking all the while he talks behind his oxen, which, with vegetable-made bones, jerk him and his lumbering plow along in spite of every obstacle.  ~Henry David Thoreau

2 comments:

  1. Chickpeas rock. And anything in the bean family has insane nutrients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been all that into beans but I'm trying to get into them now. I think I'm just going to have to find ways to cook them to my liking, like the chickpeas.

    ReplyDelete